Fish farming is undoubtedly one of the most lucrative industries in India, where about 60% of the population loves to consume fisheries and fish products. You can start a great fish farming business quickly if you have a clear plan and practical understanding. Fish farming has a lengthy list of benefits, and even with little investment, it is possible to succeed in India. Continue reading further to find out more about the fish farming business plan in India.
Benefits Of Fish Farming in India
There are several advantages to starting a properly planned commercial fish farming operation. The following is a list of the main advantages of establishing fish farming in India:
- India stands as one of the most important markets for fish and fish-related goods. Over 60% of Indians choose fish as one of their favorites and most often consumed foods.
- The fish farming industry thrives in India’s climate.
- There are many different types of easily accessible water sources. You may use water from your neighborhood lake, river, or other sources to fill your pond.
- Fish and related items are always in great demand and have a high price.
- Fish with rapid growth rates come in a wide variety. These may be farmed for quick returns on your investment.
Importance Of Location & Equipment
One of the most crucial aspects of fish farming is the constant flow of water. It is important to find a pond with a reliable water source if you want to start in a community. On the other hand, if the location is in a city, it is critical to have access to municipality water sources.
The purchase of certain equipment categories is a crucial component.
The following are some of the fundamental tools and equipment used in fish farming:
- Water Pumps
- Aeration Devices
- Fish Nets/Reels
- Fish Counters
- Grading and handling equipment
Types Of Fishes For Fishing Farming
Here are some of the most popular and profitable choices for fish farming in India –
- Tilapia – In recent times, tilapia has become the most significant fish in the fish farming industry. The primary factors that contribute to tilapia fish farming’s great profitability and popularity are high protein content, colossal size, quick growth, and palatability.
- Catfish – Catfish farming for profit is quite lucrative. New fish farmers begin farming catfish on their own or with other species. Catfish farming is one of the cheapest ways to get into fish farming
- Salmon – In a net-cage, pond, or box system, salmon are commercially produced from the egg to market. This kind of fish eats meat. One kg of farmed salmon requires, on average, 2 kg – 3kg of wild fish utilized as feed. Salmons are popular in India and are incredibly profitable.
- Prawn – Prawn is another popular choice for fish farming in India. Prawn demand is growing around the globe as well. One can start prawn farming with the aid of current, enhanced technology to satisfy both domestic and foreign needs.
For all fish farmers in India, marketing is very important. You won’t be able to attain high-quality production without effective marketing. The main advantage of commercial fishing in India is the simplicity of selling your harvest at a reasonable price. The bulk of fish farmers in India would sell their goods there. Additionally, there is a huge demand for Indian fish abroad. By selling your fish outside of India, you can earn more money.
Setting up a commercial fish farming business in India has many advantages. Once you’ve gathered enough knowledge about the market and know which fishes to breed for your farm, you’ll start gaining profits even with low initial investments.