The field of science is an exciting one. It is the source of hope and awe, the forerunner of science fiction, and the final opportunity for physical regeneration. Here are 20 amazing facts of science which will make you love it!
20 Amazing Facts of Science
- 50% Of Oxygen Is Produced By Sea – You might think that it’s the rainforest from where we get most of our oxygen, but that’s not the case. It’s that plankton, seaweed, and other ocean-based photosynthesis produces half of the world’s oxygen.
- Water Can Freeze & Boil At The Same Time – In science, there is something called a “triple point. It happens when the temperature and pressure are exactly right for three phases of a material which are gas, liquid, and solid, to coexist in an equilibrium state.
- Earth Acts As A Magnet – The Earth’s inner core is a solid iron spherical. Temperature and density variations current this iron, resulting in an electrical current. Along with the Earth’s rotation, this produces a magnetic field that is used by compass needles all across the world.
- Venus Spins Clockwise – When viewed from above, most planets, including Earth, rotate anti-clockwise. Except for Uranus, which spins on its side, and Venus, which spins clockwise. This was most likely created by massive asteroids in the distant past.
- Cloud Can Weigh A Million Pounds – According to the research, the typical cloud may weigh up to a million pounds. That’s roughly the weight of the world’s biggest airplane when fully loaded with goods and passengers.
- Hawaii Is Moving Closer To Alaska – The Earth’s crust is divided into portions called tectonic plates. Before cooling and sinking, hot, less compact rock rises. As a result, the location of the rock (and the ground above it) has shifted slightly. The Pacific Plate is gradually migrating north towards the North American Plate. That is, it gets around 7.5cm closer each year.
- Babies Have More Bones In Comparison To Adults – At birth, babies have around 300 bones. Due to their increased flexibility, they may travel through the birth canal and develop quickly. Many of the bones join together as we age. The average adult’s skeleton contains 206 bones.
- A Ball Will If You Spin It While Dropping – The Magnus effect happens when the air on the spinning object’s front side moves in the same direction as the spin. This means that the ball is pulled both above and downwards.
- There Are More Trees On Our Planet Than Stars In Miky Way Galaxy – According to researchers, the Milky Way galaxy has up to 400 billion stars, while the total number of trees on Earth is believed to be more than 3 trillion.
- Some Metals Explode When They Come In Contact With Water – Some reactive metals, such as potassium, sodium, rubidium, and cesium, burn rapidly when exposed to the atmosphere and explode when placed in water!
- Cockroaches Can Live For A Week Without Head – Cockroaches do not require the mouth or head to breathe due to their open circulatory system and the fact that they inhale through small holes in each of their vertebral bodies. The cockroach only dies of thirst because it’s unable to consume water without a mouth.
- Infrared Cameras Do Not Work On Polar Bears – Polar bears are masters in heat conservation. They feature many levels to keep them warm even on the coldest arctic day.
- Life Would Not Exist On Earth In Future – The Earth’s temperature is rising year after year. Temperatures will be high enough after 2.3 billion years to evaporate the seas, and Earth will become a huge desert comparable to Mars today.
- Eiffel Tower Grows In Summers – Particles travel faster and take up more space when things heat up. This phenomenon is most noticeable in gases, but it also applies to liquids and solids. It’s why you’ll find bridges with extension points.
- Bananas Are Radioactive – Bananas contain potassium, and because potassium decays, the yellow fruit becomes somewhat radioactive.
- Diamonds Rain On Other Planets – The atmospheres of Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn contain such high pressure that carbon atoms may solidify and form diamonds.
- Solar Flares Are Powerful – According to Scientists, the energy released by solar flares is comparable to millions of 100-megaton atomic weapons exploding at the same time.
- Half Of Our Bodies Are Bacteria – According to experts, the human body has 38 trillion bacteria and 30 trillion human cells.
- You Cannot Burp In Space – Since gas cannot separate from liquids and solids in the absence of gravity, burping effectively becomes a puke in space.
- We Have No Idea How Most Of The Space Looks Like – According to scientists, dark matter and dark energy make up the majority of the universe and are undetectable to us. Scientists think this is due to the fact that the particles that comprise these substances do not interact with ordinary matter or light.