You still have options for recovering your phone if it is stolen or misplaced. You can still trace your device or, at the absolute least, make it inoperable for anybody else if you know its IMEI number. Continue reading to find out how to find lost phone using the IMEI number in 2022.
What is the IMEI Number?
Your phone’s 15-digit IMEI number is exclusive to it. You may check for this code on the box your phone arrived in or in the ‘Phone Details’ section of your phone’s settings. The IMEI number could well be written on the panel below the battery pack if your phone has a removable battery.
You can disable all functions of your phone using the IMEI code in the event that it is ever misplaced or stolen. The IMEI code can also be used to locate a missing handset.
How To Find Lost Phone With an IMEI Number?
- The first step is to report the cell phone as lost or stolen to the police and to save a duplicate of that report.
- After that, buy a second SIM card from your service provider; you’ll receive an OTP on this number when you ask them to block your IMEI number. Not only will this allow you to track your misplaced phone, but it will also effectively render it worthless for anyone who finds it accidentally.
- Have the police report and identification on hand. A legitimate document is also the cell phone purchase invoice.
- Complete out the application form to block the IMEI number on the CEIR Portal.
- You will be issued a Request ID after submitting the request form. If your device is later found, you may use this ID to check the progress of your request form and unblock the IMEI.
Tracking Using IMEI Number
The IMEI number will be used by the authorities to locate your smartphone once you’ve reported it missing to the police. Even if you’ve disabled the IMEI number on the CEIR Portal, the authorities can still track the mobile device. The exact location of your smartphone is routed to the closest cell tower after someone inserts a new SIM card into it or uses the current SIM card to place a call. You can submit a request on the CEIR portal to unlock the IMEI number if your device is found.
Benefit Of IMEI Tracker
- IMEI Numbers Can’t Be Changed – The IMEI number is used to track missing mobile phones since it cannot ever be modified by anybody. Even the criminals who took your phone are unable to alter that number. The IMEI number cannot be changed; however, the SIM card or the location can both be disabled. Therefore, it is essential to keep the phone’s IMEI number on hand.
- You Block IMEI Number – Your mobile phone usage can be stopped by blocking the IMEI number. If you disable the IMEI number, the thief will be unable to use your phone even if he obtains it. Therefore, the first step to take if your phone is stolen is to block the IMEI number. However, in order to accomplish it, you must call the police.
You now know how to locate your phone’s IMEI number and track down a stolen or misplaced phone using its IMEI number. However, it is always preferable to have a multi-purpose phone tracker on your phone in advance so that you can locate it quickly and precisely. There are multiple trackers available on both iOS and Android which can help you track your phone.